On 08/10/2021 16:17, Stella Ashburne wrote:
Hi Mathias

Sent: Friday, October 08, 2021 at 3:00 PM
From: "Mathias Jeschke" <openvpn-us...@0xaffe.de>
To: openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Unable to locate the .deb package of OpenVPN 2.5.4
for Debian 11/Bullseye

What is wrong with the Debian package from the official repo?
https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/openvpn

Do you really need 2.5.4 instead of 2.5.1?

Your questions are really pertinent.

For as long as I can remember, the person who built and released the community
versions of OpenVPN also released them for Debian. That person preceded our
friend, Samuli. I just went with whatever was offered by that person and then
Samuli.

You asked me: "Do you really need 2.5.4 instead of 2.5.1?" I myself am unable
to answer it.
It's good to understand how distribution packages are maintained. I'm a Fedora/RHEL/CentOS user/contributor myself, so there might be some details not matching completely with Debian/Ubuntu. But it should be somewhat similar.

- Major updates of a package (for OpenVPN, that means 2.4->2.5, 2.5->2.6, etc), these happens in the major distribution releases (like Debian 10 to Debian 11)

- Minor updates of a package (for OpenVPN: 2.5.1->2.5.2->2.5.3, etc) can be handled in two ways.

   a) Update to the upstream minor release; which is what I do for
      Fedora/Fedora EPEL/Fedora Copr repositories.  This updates the
      package version number in the package.

   b) Backport important fixes from newer releases to the current one in
      the distribution.  This keeps the upstream version but updates the
      "build" number.  This is very common for Debian/Ubuntu, as well as
      for enterprise distributions such as Red Hat Enterprise
      Linux and CentOS.

   Both these approaches gives you a reliable and up-to-date version.
   Method b) often results in smaller changes being applied, so the
   stability can often be more predictable - but it depends on how good
   the package maintainer is.  The OpenVPN package maintainer for Debian
   packages (which ends up in Ubuntu too) are well maintained.

Using the OpenVPN community provided packages is commonly more useful when the distro provided version is based on an older OpenVPN major release. If there are no new features you require in the community provided repository, using the standard distro repository might be more than good enough.

On the other hand, it might take a bit longer for a distribution repository to get an updated package compared to using the community provided packages.

That's the quicker introduction to this topic.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth
OpenVPN Inc