On Tue, 8 Mar 2022 08:54:01 +0100, Gert Doering <g...@greenie.muc.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 08:45:27AM +0100, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> OK so let me see:
>> The client (the RPi4) is getting a route on to the server side LAN. That
>> happens
>> on *all* of my clients, I guess thanks to this server side directive:
>>
>> push "route 192.168.119.0 255.255.255.0" #Local LAN
>>
>> The client itself gets a DHCP assigned address from this:
>>
>> ifconfig-pool 10.8.139.2 10.8.139.127 255.255.255.0
>>
>> So since it is on a different network than my home LAN then in order for the
>> server side device to connect to the VPN client it will need a route to the
>> 10.8.139.x network, which is via the OpenVPN server...
>
>Right.
>
>> I guess that if I want to be able to use this then I have to either add a
>> route
>> specifically on the device needing the connection which is targeting the
>> OpenVPN
>> server, right? I don't know how to do this.
>
>If it's a windows box, run "route add ..." from cmd.exe - if it's a
>linux box, run "ip route add ...".  On Windows, this can be auto-persistent
>(route add /p, if I remember right), on Linux you need to find out where
>in /etc/ your distribution expects static routes.
>
>> Or else I could add a route on the server side router for that VPN network
>> like
>> I did when connecting my two LAN:s together as described in the previous
>> thread.
>
>Yep.  Same thing: make sure all devices know where to send packets "to the
>other side" to.

I will go this router-route way then so it does not matter which device on the
home LAN I use to talk to the connected client through.

And I will use ccd commands to set the client's tunnel address to a known value.
(Which will be outside the server's tunnel DHCP range to avoid possible
collisions.)

>> But how do I need to prepare the OpenVPN server such that it will actually
>> accept this routing call?
>
>There is no "routing call".  Routing is done individually on each involved
>device - so, if the OpenVPN server can reach the VPN client (RPi), then
>routing is fine.
>
>You might need to enable IP forwarding (/etc/sysctl.conf) for it to forward
>packets coming in from other hosts .

I already have this in that file (as part of setting up the OpenVPN server at
the beginning):

net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

>> An iroute setting in the server conf file or a new ccd entry with the iroute?
>
>iroutes will only be needed if you need to make a "network behind a VPN client"
>known to the VPN Server.  If you do pools only, the VPN server already knows.

I had to do that in order for the connection to the remote LAN behind the client
to work.
But since it is now about connecting to a client's tunnel address I figured
there would be some other setting needed.

My IPTABLES are set as follows on the OVPN server:

# Generated by iptables-save v1.8.4 on Tue Mar  8 11:50:28 2022
*nat
:PREROUTING ACCEPT [1343362:193943601]
:INPUT ACCEPT [596812:115289779]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [837499:76350000]
:POSTROUTING ACCEPT [870928:79291578]
-A POSTROUTING -s 10.8.0.0/24 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
-A POSTROUTING -s 10.8.139.0/24 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
COMMIT
# Completed on Tue Mar  8 11:50:28 2022
# Generated by iptables-save v1.8.4 on Tue Mar  8 11:50:28 2022
*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [140926446:169398823782]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [180058449:231184079442]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [227125196:294858677166]
COMMIT
# Completed on Tue Mar  8 11:50:28 2022

Incidentally the 10.8.0.0/24 is there from "way back when" during my first
installation of the OVPN server...
I have later moved away from the cook-book suggestions to use 10.8.0.x as the
network.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden