Hi David

> Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2022 at 12:58 AM
> From: "David Sommerseth" <open...@sf.lists.topphemmelig.net>
> To: "Stella Ashburne" <rewe...@gmx.com>
> Cc: openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Request .deb package of OpenVPN 2.5.6
>
> So you got my attention ;-)  Both as an OpenVPN Inc employee, working on
> the open source projects, and as the official Fedora openvpn package
> maintainer.

I was looking around for a Linux distro that has the most up-to-date OpenVPN
version and stumbled on Fedora. My first choice was Manjaro; however as it
doesn't support UEFI Secure Boot, I ditched it in favor of Fedora.

> The Fedora build you point at uses the standard upstream distro
> repository build system.  And a similar infrastructure is also used for
> the Fedora Copr builds.  Btw. openvpn-2.5.6 builds are already in all
> the Fedora pipes.

>From January 1, 2022 to February 28, 2022, whenever I installed
>openvpn-2.5.5-1.fc35, openvpn-2.5.5-2.fc35 and openvpn-2.5.5-3.fc35 onto
>Fedora 35, there were warnings about "globs" not being supported; nevertheless
>I continued with the installation of OpenVPN.

> The .deb package repositories hosted on
> <http://build.openvpn.net/debian/openvpn/> is a different story, as
> that's based on infrastructure managed by the OpenVPN project.  This
> infrastructure has been through some massive overhaul, and it seems
> Samuli hit some dark corners there causing issues with the builds for
> this repository.

According to Gert Doering, Samuli's problems with building a .deb package of
OpenVPN were caused by: (sic) I guess that Samuli's build machine (which is a
VM in some AWS VPC)
has issues unrelated to Debian or OpenVPN - but fixing takes time, so won't
always be possible "right the same day".

Anyway, it would be good if Samuli could elaborate the types of "esoteric
technical problems" that prevented him from building packages of OpenVPN for
Debian distro.

> That said, comparing upstream Fedora 3x repos with the OpenVPN project
> provided repos is not really a fair reference point.  The Fedora
> repositories are similar to the upstream Debian repositories - but
> version wise, they are probably much closer to Fedora EPEL repositories.

That's correct and I've known about it some years ago.

> And in regards to upstream distribution repositories, the package
> maintainers there ensure that the OpenVPN versions distributed from
> there are up-to-date in regards to important bug and security fixes.
> They are typically back-ported from newer versions.  The version number
> in these repositories may not be completely accurate.  But very seldom
> are features back-ported.  This is due to repository polices, where
> major version updates are not allowed and minor updates are attempted
> kept at a minimum for the distribution - to ensure the package stays
> stable and have a predictable behavior.

Thanks for the reminder.

> The Fedora Copr repos is somewhat similar to Ubuntu PPA.  These
> repositories does not have the same strict version upgrade policy, but
> also does not carry the same types of stability guarantees.
>
> The project provided apt repository is also a best-effort repository.
> There are no guarantees it won't break, but we try to fix things as soon
> as possible.  On the other hand, the official OpenVPN 2.x releases from
> the project are generally very stable. But it does not go through the
> same set of testing which many distributions does before shipping it.
>

> I hope this could clarify a bit of the differences and align some of the
> expectations better.

Yes, your clarification helps a lot for folks like us. Could someone upload
such clarification to the OpenVPN's wiki for Debian packages please?

Best regards.

Stella