On 22/06/2022 22:03, Bo Berglund wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 15:58:35 +0200, David Sommerseth
<open...@sf.lists.topphemmelig.net> wrote:
[...snip...]
I see you get a recommendation to remove '--suppress-timestamp'.  That
is only useful if you decide to use --log.  If you let the journal do
that job, it will already provide the timestamps for you.  And if you
also have rsyslog installed too, it will pick up journal events and put
these log entries to the configured log files - which will include
timestamps.

Generally speaking, consider the --log option only to be useful on
systems without a system logger available.

So if I simply remove the log entry in the conf file and restart openvpn
services I will get the log into Journalctl including timestamps?

Yes, correct!

This seems like a modification I could do remotely without risking the system
getting shut down?

I mean commenting out the log setting in the conf file...

Absolutely, removing the --log option is normally a safe operation. If you have SSH access to the box outside of the VPN, it is also safe to do a 'systemctl restart' of your openvpn-server@.service units.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth
OpenVPN Inc