On Tue, 5 Jul 2022 02:14:05 -0400, Nathan Stratton Treadway <natha...@ontko.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 03, 2022 at 21:55:13 +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> And now I had a look at our office server (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) and it looks the
>> same:
>>
>> $ openvpn --version
>> OpenVPN 2.4.7 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL]
>> [PKCS11]
>> [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Feb 19 2019
>>
>> This server is running 18.04.6 LTS and was upgraded from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
>> probably back in 2019.
>>
>> OpenVPN was installed in the 16.04 days and has been stopped at 2.4.7 since
>> quite some time it seems. It too needs an upgrade.
>
>Note that my previous emails have all been focusing on the server
>running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
>
>The situation on the 18.04 server is a bit different, since the OpenVPN
>version included in stock Bionic is 2.4.4 -- so you'd actually have to
>downgrade the upstream OpenVPN version to switch from your current
>package to the Ubuntu package.

This server became due for a distribution upgrade when Covid19 had already hit.
It is located in Texas and my twice per year visits there have been cancelled
since Sept 2019.
That is why it has not been upgraded to 20.04...
Hopefully I can get there and upgrade it on location come September.
I don't dare doing that remotely.

>That may well be fine for your use case, but obviously it would be a
>bigger change than the switch from one 2.4.7 package to a different
>2.4.7 package that is under discussion on the server running Ubuntu
>20.04.
>
>Anyway, posting the output of "apt-cache policy openvpn" on that server
>here would help confirm the exact package versions your system currently
>knows about...

Here you go:

$ apt-cache policy openvpn
openvpn: