I haved just upgraded my server from Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to 20.04.5 LTS.
In the process my openvpn instance has been non-functional, probably because of
the use of a non-ubuntu repository on 18.04.

I have tried to clean up the server as best I can from that version of ubuntu
and I want to install the correct versionof openvpn for ubuntu, which will be
supported by apt upgrades into the future (I need to do a releasde upgrade to
22.04 soon).

So here is what I see at the moment:

$ apt policy openvpn
openvpn:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2.4.7-1ubuntu2.20.04.4 <== Why is xenial not mentioned?
  Version table:
     2.4.7-1ubuntu2.20.04.4 500
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64
Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security/main amd64 Packages
     2.4.7-1ubuntu2 500
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages

What I am worried about is the fact that it says:
 Candidate: 2.4.7-1ubuntu2.20.04.4

On another server I run I get this:

  Installed: 2.4.7-xenial0
  Candidate: 2.4.7-xenial0

Why is there a difference and why does the server I am trying to upgrade show a
different candidate?

Which one should be fixed and how is it done?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden