A good way for you to start would be to create a VM with virtualbox or
setup an lxc container on which you can install OpenWISP 2 using
ansible-openwisp2 <https://github.com/openwisp/ansible-openwisp2>.

You can read about the internals of OpenWISP 2 here:
https://www.slideshare.net/FedericoCapoano/applying-the-unix-philosophy-to-django-projects-a-report-from-the-real-world

Federico