Oliver, I get your point and I agree with it.

I think the best thing is to look at how other projects did this.
I started a discussion here:
https://github.com/openwisp/openwisp-dev-env/issues/2

Gitlab has a tool called Gitlab Development Kit, which is called with a
command line tool named gdk, so commands look like "gdk init", "gdk update"
and so on.
I like this approach, but I would like to find out more examples before
deciding.

If I'm not wrong, if we use a Makefile we necessarily have to call "make"
from the directory in which the Makefile is saved, right? Or not?

F.