Dear All

The main content of WIP-Day no. 2 had it's focus on the following 4
questions:

1. OpenWrt is in need of a documentation-team - how to go about getting
such a team organized, and who should lead it?

2. In similar fashion: OpenWrt could need a more organized
release-testing team, now with the constant, and fast, work on new
Kamikaze releases - It this a productive suggestion and how to get it
into the air?

3. Open hardware: There are at least one ongoing initiative with the
intent of convincing oem manufactures to produce a line of devices
(basic client-router and super-node) which are specified by the open
community and pre-loaded with OpenWrt. To what an extent should the
OpenWrt project involve itself in these initiatives, and if how to do this?

4. The OpenWrt project and copyright/ownership to the source-code which
is being added to the repository - how to handle individual versus
project copyright?

It is my personal intention to give these questions further thought and
post more specific suggestions in regard to answering/solving them.

There was also a very interesting personal project by <Dardcobra> who
presented the following:

[16:19] <Darkcobra> I'm interested in OpenWrt primarily for hardware
hacking. Hooking the router up to I2C, sensors, you name it.
[16:20] <Darkcobra> It's my understanding that methods to access the
GPIO like kmod_gpio, are pretty slow, due to the overhead of switching
from usermode to kernel for each individual bitbang.
[16:20] <Darkcobra> And then there's things like the MMC drivers, which
are blazing fast.
[16:21] <Darkcobra> My idea is to produce a kernel module that would
accept a simple scripting language that would describe what GPIO
operations to perform.
[16:21] <Darkcobra> You send it your script to read a sensor, tell it
when to execute, and it performs all the bitbanging and returns the data.
[16:22] <Darkcobra> Would allow for much better speed, while still
allowing access to any arbitrary attached hardware device.
[16:23] <Darkcobra> Anything that requires faster IO than things like
kmod-gpio. Robotics would be a prime example, as you'd have a lot of
sensors to attach.

Should other members be interested in similar things, then I would
suggest they contact <Dardcobra> on IRC :-)

Thank you all for your support, and WIP-Day will be back on the 25. of
August from UTC 12.00 and 24 hours ahead ;-)

--
Gregers Petersen, Anthropologist
[EMAIL PROTECTED]