Hey Wolfgang,

On Sat, 2009-07-25 at 14:01 +0800, Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
> Hi,
> I am working on adding support for our upcoming 'XBurst' board into
> OpenWrt [1]. Sources are here [2].
>
> In addition to all the stuff that targets the device, I have a reflashing tool
> running on the host. This tool can boot the device over USB and reflash it.
> It's called 'usbboot' and part of a package called 'xburst-tools' (the CPU
> is an XBurst (MIPS-compatible) CPU).
> Sources for that package are here [3].
>
> Now, in the OpenWrt there is a directory 'tools' at the root level. Should I
> create a subfolder (+Makefile etc) for xburst-tools inside there?
> However, the tool depends on my target.
> Is the 'tools' directory only for target-independent host tools?

The tools/-directory contains OpenWrt-Makefiles for essential tools
which are needed on the host system to get an OpenWrt build done, so -
yes - they're target-independent.
In my view tools/ would not be the appropriate location to store the
xburst tools.

This could be either done within the target-directory (as it is done for
e.g. u-boot) or the "usual" way of building specific host-tools in
OpenWrt (like it's done for e.g. "bjam").
The latter way is usually used for building host-tools that are needed
by other packages as dependencies (e.g. "bjam" is needed as host-tool
for getting "boost" compiled) so it's just used within the OpenWrt build
process - however the host-tools remains in staging_dir/host/bin/ and
can still be used afterwards.

> Another possible place would be in target/linux/xburst. But I see no host
> tools in any of the other targets, so I'm not sure it's a good place.
Maybe xburst tools can be splitted in:
 - xburst-staging-binaries (compiled for the target)
 - usbboot (compiled for the host)

> Any help appreciated, thanks!
> Wolfgang
mirko :)