Il martedì 8 settembre 2009 11:14:43 edgar.sol...@web.de ha scritto:
> just out of interest,

not for me. It's really important for my every-day activities.

> What is an external toolchain?

An external (Cross)toolchain is a Toolchain (0) provided by another supplier.
It can based on opensource technologies or not. In general you will have from
your supplier a (1) "well-tested" gnu/gcc based toolchain: the supplier will
(2) cover all anomalies an will (3) give you support when you need, under (4)
specific support agreement.

Usually the (5) BSP provided from your CPU vender will include the sources for
the target (kernel, userland tools, drivers) and an (6) "official" toolchain
(already gnu/gcc based) that will be able to compile your target.

The (6) "official" toolchain usually has a lot for (7) vendor specific patches
in
order to cover and resolve some problem or cpu details.

When you are developing a new target (a new router or an appliance) usually
you need to be supported by cpu supplier and usually the supplier requires you
to use only the BSP to create the target otherwise the supplier will not help
you.

Typical conversation between Me and supplier field engineer (FE):

Me: Good morning, I have a strange error during the kernel building "error: A
strange error". I think that you code is broken because blah blah blah...

FE: Are you using our gcc/glibc/or_another_piece_of_bin provided by us?

Me: No, I'm using a self-made vanilla gcc/glibc/...

FE: Sorry, I cannot help you because: our code is perfect and we support only
if you use certified building tools (included into the BSP). Good bye...

Me: (After closing the telephone) I hate my FE....

Of course this a joke, but it's correct that FE requires a "certified" tool in
order to have a standard background to solve the problem... Using a self made
toolchain is not always possible to reproduce the behavior during the
troubleshooting (at least when the problem is not trivial...) and I cannot
pretend that my supplier recompile a new toolchain just for me.

Finally, I external toolchain is (8) already ready to use and it's (9) easy to
redistribute to all team members involved into a project... and it's important
that all team members (19) have the same tools to develop.

These motivations are for me sufficient to consider an external toolchain
during
the product development.

I want underline that OpenWRT can be used as building environment and not only
for homebrew activities.

I hope this would answer your questions.

best regards,

luigi

> Why would you not want to use the buildroot one?
>
> Thanks alot, ede
>
> > Hi List,
> > Hi Nico,
> >
> > find the attached my contribute.
> > Starting from nico's patch I build this patchset that adds the ability to
> > use use an external toolchain (rebased on r17459).
> >
> > I compiled a simple ppc440 target with and without the external toolchain
> > usage and it seems to work fine. As external toolchain I used the
> > CodeSourcery G++lite 4.3-50 for Power EABI
> > (http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/power/portal/release603).
> >
> > Find also the config.external and config.normal configs to look my board
> > setup.
> >
> > My wish is to see this patch in the main-line as soon possible because is
> > very important for my job.
> >
> > Any feedback is welcome.
> >
> > best regards,
> >
> > luigi