On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Thomas Monjalon <tho...@monjalon.net> wrote:

> Don't use XFS !

I WON'Tt. I promise. Definitely NOT for root filesystem.

> Different versions of the XFS driver are not compatibles.
> It seems that the version you have in your kernel is different from the
> version used by LaCie. So when you use it from you OpenWRT, you break it.

Uhm... that's not consistent with my experience. When using XFS, it
would usually go this way:

1) I boot OpenWRT's 2.6.30.10 with XFS root filesystem
2) I reboot (even if I unmount -- meaning, remount read-only -- the root fs!)
3) Linux 2.6.30 won't mount my root fs anymore because it's corrupted
4) I connect the drive to my x86 machine.
5) If my xfs driver module (on kernel 2.6.28-17) doesn't crash/hang
when trying to mount it, run xfs_repair
6) If it does crash, reboot x86 in single mode and repeat 5)
7) Reconnect the drive to Lacie NAS board
8) Boot happily for a few times
9) Goto 3

> The simplest solution is to not use the XFS user partition. Anyway, I think
> you should make your own partitions scheme.

Uhm... I actually like Lacie's partition scheme and boot flow.
I think it'd be nice to build a firmware image that is somehow
backwards compatible with Lacie's.
However, by the time I have that figured out copper wiring will be
obsolete... :-)

Best,
Gerlando

PS. Am I using the wrong mailing list for these topics? Should I be
using OpenWRT's forum instead?