On 02/19/2010 08:08 PM, Felix Fietkau wrote:

> I disagree with the way manufacturers typically set up board support
> packages. Often you have to install something as root, which is annoying
> for people that only have user accounts on some machines. Often you can
> only have one globally installed instance of the SDK, which makes it
> annoying to support multiple different versions, or even just multiple
> minor variations of the toolchain.

That's true, but for most of people it is a convenient way to just have
to install an SDK and start developing.

One issue with pre-compiled SDK's is gcc hardcoded absolute paths to
libraries that make relocation difficult. There are scripts that change
the absolute paths to relative one. Then it is possible to install a
precompiled SDK in the user accessible location you want.

With OpenWRT, it is possible to have multiple different version
installed at the same time. You can simply choose a different location
for every variant where you build OpenWRT, e.g. build one in
/opt/OpenWRT/<platform>/<variant1> and another one in
/opt/OpenWRT/<platform>/<variant2>

By sourcing a (to be written) script say
/opt/OpenWRT/<platform>/<the_variant>/settings.rc you switch between
different variants.

> Why do you want to call it outside of the tree? You can keep your
> packages as a separate feed, which makes it easy to keep track of your
> own work without having to fully integrate it into the OpenWrt tree.

Personally, I like a complete separation between open source and
propriety code. So when developing propriety code which uses OpenWRT as
a platform, I prefer to use a fixed tree of OpenWRT stuff (packaged and
installed somewhere) and have an entirely separate tree of propriety
code in which I can simply call "make". Then the resulting binaries,
kmods and images should land somewhere in my propriety tree.

Please note that I'm not saying that the system with the feeds is not
working properly! I just want to offer an OpenWRT based SDK for a
certain board (including kernel headers and .config actually) as an easy
to install package and an archive with only the propriety stuff.

One then only needs to install the SDK, unpack the archive with the
propriety code and run make.

Bas.