On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 22:37 +0100, Kövesdi György wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At last i could create symbolic backtrace (attached).
>
> The hardware is an Asus WL500GP-V2, a 160 Gb HD (on USB), a UVC webcam
> (Logitech Quickcam Sphere).
> The commandline is:
> mjpg-streamer -i "input_uvc.so -f 25 -r 320x240 -l off" -o "output_file.so -r
> /data/jpeg"
>
> 128Mb swap is used.
> Some commands are executed immediately before crash (see the attached file),
> the free memory and other things are shown.
>
> I cannot imagine that all the memory got allocated within some seconds
> (filling 128Mb space through USB takes some time). I assume that there is a
> problem in the kernel instead.

Where is the output of mjpg-streamer written to? It looks like it is
using ram disk or (slow) flash memory. Make sure it is on the hard disk.

What is the rate of data being written? If, for some reason, the disk
(flash?) is too slow, you run out of memory due to the block layer
buffering.

You can measure the USB disk performance by copying a piece of dat from
e.g. /dev/zero to the disk with "dd".

Bas.