On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 20:41 -0400, Brian Hutchinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've never needed to really get into the startup scripts much but now
> I need to try and understand how the mini_fo union gets set up so I'm
> trying to learn the startup scripts like preinit.
>
> I'm using a Pronghorn SBC (ixp-42xx) and I thought that maybe if I
> edited preinit and put #!/bin/sh -x that I could turn on debugging and
> see what the scripts were doing via the serial console.
>
> That didn't work so well.  How you all debug startup scripts?

It depends on the error.  If the problem is that preinit doesn't start
at all, that usually indicates a syntax error or some such in the start
up scripts, so on the host, I fire up dash, and do something like:
for script in *; do
        . $script
done

in the build_dir/target.../root.../lib/preinit directory

If there is a syntax error it will emit an error message and it can be
fixed.

Errors that prevent successful sourcing of files will cause preinit to
die.

> I can't change preinit from the target can I?  I tried but I guess it

I was going to suggest using a 'pure' jffs image, but I realized that
defeats the purpose of what you are trying to test.  For a squashfs, the
preinit runs from squashfs, not jffs (because mounting the jffs is part
of the preinit functionality; probably the most important).

> isn't using the one from /jffs and is using the one from /rom.  I had
> to rebuild the image to get my preinit changes to execute on startup.

Stefan had good suggestions for the rest.

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore