On 29.04.2010 21:03, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:
> Hmm, I got used to the fact that wan and lan mac are often the same on
> various routers... but when settings all bridge ports to the same mac,
> wouldn't that break arp etc.?
>
> ~ Jow

If you do not set the LAN mac address, then all bridge ports will have
the same mac address (confirmed on WRT350Nv2 and WRT54G v2.2).
So this is not an issue, but the solution. Otherwise the switch doesn't
work (at least on WRT350Nv2 and WRT54G v2.2).
Use "ifconfig | grep HWaddr" to check your own router(s).

Having different mac addresses for the WAN port and the LAN bridge works
for me on WRT350Nv2 (not yet tested on WRT54G v2.2).

I do not know what you refer to exactly with "break arp".
But I can tell you that when you change the LAN mac address, then also
all switches of the network should be restarted to clear their ARP tables.
Otherwise packets won't be routed until their ARP table entries get invalid.

Maddes