> In other words, I wonder why one would like to deblob. As long as you
> don't install the blobs in the image, you are not using it. So if you
> already downloaded it, what is the use of removing it above just not
> installing and using it.

IIUC the issue is not whether to download this or not, but whether it
gets (installed and) used.  So it's mostly a matter of marking the
un-free parts and then making them only available upon a very
explicit request.

The degree to which the request should be explicit is of course
something that depends on how much you care about this kind of freedom.
I personally would really like it if OpenWRT labelled each non-free part
and made it clear which part is free and which isn't (e.g. by placing
all the non-free packages (i.e. packages which include some non-free
element) in a separate (sub)menu).

        Stefan