Hi,

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:11:09PM +0200, Matthias Buecher / Germany wrote:
> My intention to use profiles for Orion is that these routers have
> different wifi hardware and some have USB (WRT350Nv2) while some have
> not (WNR854T).
> That would be the reason for profiles inside the "generic" target.

You can have profiles in subtargets. Look at ifxmips/danube:

https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/target/linux/ifxmips/danube

> The difference between "generic" and "harddisk" after a first glance
> seems to be mainly USB support.
> So this would be the reason for a merge of these two targets.
> (="yes" to Luka's question)

No, it is not only USB support it is also support for the hard disks,
raid and file system which gets built in the kernel. Not like modules
when you select the same stuff from 'make menuconfig'. You might want
this behavior if your kernel MTD is big!

> Separated image Makefiles for targets and/or profiles would be great, as
> the Freecom DT2 image creation messes up the root file system (currently
> worked around) when compiling "generic" subtarget for SquashFS/JFFS2
> devices.
> And Freecom looks like hard disk only, isn't it?

Well, currently yes. I have made working patches for D-Link DNS323
storage device:

http://dns323.lukaperkov.net/

I'm still testing them although they seem to work just fine. I will
submit them again "soon" with a daemon that I'm now writing for this
device.
DNS323 is going to be a subtarget by itself.

Luka