On 2011-01-28 9:27 PM, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> I have the following ~/.openwrt/defconfig contents:
>

> CONFIG_PACKAGE_usbutils=y
> CONFIG_PACKAGE_libusb-1.0=y
> CONFIG_PACKAGE_pciutils=y
> CONFIG_PACKAGE_ip=y
> CONFIG_PACKAGE_iftop=y
> CONFIG_PACKAGE_coreutils-uptime=y
> CONFIG_PACKAGE_coreutils-users=y
> CONFIG_PACKAGE_coreutils-who=y
> CONFIG_PACKAGE_fdisk=y
> CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-wprobe=y
> CONFIG_PACKAGE_wprobe-util=y
> CONFIG_PACKAGE_libnl=y
> CONFIG_PACKAGE_libnl-tiny=y
> CONFIG_PACKAGE_p910nd=y
> CONFIG_TARGET_x86_geos=y
> CONFIG_TARGET_x86=y
>

> and I was wondering... would it be useful to have a directory called
> "bouquets" (sorry, that's a hang-over from working with Dreambox and other
> FTA satellite STB's) that contain useful configuration bundles where someone
> can just do:
>
> cp bouquets/some-platform ~/.openwrt/defconfig
> rm .config .config.old
> make defconfig
You don't need to mess with ~/.openwrt/defconfig at all to apply a
partial config, simply throw the partial config into .config directly
and run make defconfig.

> and be good to go?  This would give a "platform-in-a-box" capability... well,
> possibly also adding a files/ tarball that goes with it.
>
> We could write a simple script...
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> platform="$1"
>
> [ -z "$platform" ]&&  echo "need a platform name" 1>&2&&  exit 1
>
> mkdir -p $HOME/.openwrt
> cp -p bouquets/$platform.cfg $HOME/.openwrt/defconfig
> rm -rf .config .config.old files/
>
> if [ -f bouquets/$platform.tgz ]; then
>    mkdir files
>    tar -C files -zxf bouquets/$platform.tgz
> fi
>
> make defconfig>defconfig.log
I just added a script that makes it much easier to maintain defconfig
files for different preselections. Make a config (leave it in .config),
then run ./scripts/diffconfig.sh and take a look at its output.
It generates a very minimal list of config changes that are (or at least
should be) enough to regenerate the full .config, but is easy to review
at the same time.
Maybe I'll use this to make ./scripts/env store reduced config files by
default.

- Felix