I note that the file /tmp/state/network contains the interface, ip address,
and expiration time of the WAN DHCP lease...  I'm wondering what's
involved in writing that information into somewhere persistent where it
can be reused on reboot?

If, for instance, a previous boot acquired a lease for x.x.x.x and it hasn't
yet expired before we reboot... can we just reprime the lease request with
the same IP address?

Udhcpc allows this to be done with the -r x.x.x.x option.

Of course, that starts the entire lease negotiation process from the DISCOVERY
process, as opposed to using the entire lease state (including transaction ID)
to do a simple lease renewal via a REQUEST message instead.

Ideally, we'd simply reuse the original lease if it hadn't expired, but
currently
udhcpc doesn't allow this.

-Philip