On 5 June 2011 00:36, Philip Prindeville
<philipp_s...@redfish-solutions.com> wrote:
> The alix2 boards include a miniPCI slot; this is typically used for Wifi
> cards. Preconfigure wifi.
>
> The alix2 boards also contain 2 or 3 Ethernet ports. Provision the first two
> as a bridge.

Ugh... I have several objections to this, but I just saw the goes
target has the same ones already present.

First of all, you would achieve the same by directly putting uci
config files into alix2/base-files/etc/config/ (like the olpc target
has).

Secondly:

> +set wireless.wlan0.type=mac80211

what if I want to use madwifi?

> +set wireless.wlan0.hwmode=11g

So I'm not allowed to use 11n?

> +set wireless.wlan0.country=US

What if I'm not in US?

> +set wireless.@wifi-iface[-1].ssid=typhoon

What's wrong with Openwrt, the default everywhere else? ;)

> +set wireless.@wifi-iface[-1].key="passphrase"

Ugh, vulnerable to a dictionary attack ...

> +set wireless.@wifi-iface[-1].hidden=0

This is afaik needless, as 0/false is the default when the key is not present.

What if I have an alix2 with 2 mini PCI slots and two wifi cards? Then
my second one won't be visible.

Also why is wifi /enabled/ by default with a weak password? Security
wise this is A Bad Idea.

The network part looks a-okay configuration wise, but I don't like the
generation at firstboot. Also I'm not sure what happens if I change
the default network config in menuconfig when building my own image.
Dynamically setting the network configuration might be acceptable if
there e.g. would be a check on how many eths are present and then
assigning the eths to wan and lan.

Jonas