I was wrong again, both "my way" and "your way" both seems to be not
working as of this moment.

Here is my problem restated:
(a) My patch to the kernel compiles, without breaking the build.

(b) bin/ramips/openwrt-ramips-rt305x-uImage.bin boots from the
boot-loader, but grep -i pronto
bin/ramips/openwrt-ramips-rt305x-uImage.bin returns nothing and the
kernel panics after being loaded.

(c) <SNIP>
grep -i pronto  bin/ramips/openwrt-ramips-rt305x-vmlinux.*
Binary file bin/ramips/openwrt-ramips-rt305x-vmlinux.bin matches
Binary file bin/ramips/openwrt-ramips-rt305x-vmlinux.elf matches
</SNIP>
but both of these result in an error messsage, "Bad Magic Number" "Hex
String" when flashed onto the router.

(d) <SNIP>
harish@embedded:~/openwrt/trunk/build_dir/linux-ramips_rt305x$ pwd
/home/harish/openwrt/trunk/build_dir/linux-ramips_rt305x
harish@embedded:~/openwrt/trunk/build_dir/linux-ramips_rt305x$ ls *fonera*
vmlinux-fonera20n  vmlinux-fonera20n.bin.lzma  vmlinux-fonera20n.uImage
harish@embedded:~/openwrt/trunk/build_dir/linux-ramips_rt305x$ grep -i
pronto *fonera*
Binary file vmlinux-fonera20n matches
</SNIP>

The problem being the pattern of uImage files not containing the
string that i have include in a printk statement in one of the source
files. Please help, as i am really stuck.