Hello,

On Friday 09 September 2011 19:54:47 Alexey Loukianov wrote:
> Good day to all,
>
> As I already had posted to the list, I'm experimenting with OpenWRT
> installation on my fresh-new DIR-615 rev. E4 box. Looks like that current
> trunk it is pretty unstable on it - I've got unexpected reboots or hangs
> at random intervals, varying from several minutes to the several hours. I
> suspect that the reboots are caused by kernel panic followed by hw reset
> from watchdog, but I hadn't been able to catch it with remote syslog.
> Every time it looks like everything is fine and then - kaboom - ssh
> connection get's dropped due to no response from the peer and I find the
> box being hanged or in process of rebooting itself.
>
> So, my questions are:
> a) Are there any users of DIR-615 E4 on the list experiencing similar
> troubles? b) What should I do to try to catch the kmesg at the hang/reboot
> moment? Should I solder in serial console connector and monitor for
> messages through it? Or maybe there's some other way like remote kernel
> debug utilities or something of that kind?

You should be able to use the crashlog feature, which is a small ring-buffer in
RAM holding kernel panics and such. Provided that the bootloader does not
erase the contents of the RAM between two reboots, you can get this output by
using:

mount -t debugs /sys/kernel/debug
cat /sys/kernel/debug/crashlog

this should tell you what was the last cause of panic.

> Most essential is the (a) part of the question as the problem I face might
> be related to the possible damage the box might got while I've been
> soldering USB connector and several SMD resistors to its PCB. ATM I'm
> thinking about buying another DIR-615 E4 box just to check how does the
> "virgin vanilla" box behave under OpenWRT.

Could be a good idea to make sure the hardware is not faulty. I doubt so, but
maybe the board with USB has a different power supply circuitry to handle
overcurrents and the powering of the USB devices?
--
Florian