Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a good description of the firmware image
format used by M-series Ubiquiti devices? How file- and part headers are
to be interpreted/created?

Using Ubiquiti's fwsplit utility, I can get the kernel and rootfs parts
out of the OpenWrt -factory.bin image and simply concatenating them
results in the -sysupgrade.bin image. Of course, fwsplit.c is available
in source, so it can be reverse-engineered, but I guess documentation is
available somewhere.

In general, it would be nice not to have the distinction between
-factory.bin and -sysupgrade.bin images. As I understand the latter are
just stripped-down versions of the former, with some headers removed
(i.e. a simple concatenation of the parts), when the kernel part is
known to be exactly one megabyte and the rootfs part three megabytes.

Cheers,

--
Daniel