On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Roman Yeryomin <leroi.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 January 2012 16:26, Helmut Schaa <helmut.sc...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Well, ok, I'll retest everything again (a bit later) and let you know
>>> the results.
>>
>> Ok, thanks.
>
> It could be that you were right that my testing environment/hardware
> is not good enough.
> When I started to use iperf wireless card (well, probably the driver)
> in my laptop behaved very bad. It hanged pretty frequently (~20% of
> the time) and speed tests were very weird - sometimes I was getting
> stable 65 Mbit/s but sometimes it was jumping from 20 to 65 per test.
> Device placement and environment was the same all the time.
> The thing is that I have to use proprietary broadcom driver for this
> card (BCM4321) to get n mode. And it's very unstable.
> So, for now, I can't say anything useful.
> Probably I should get some good and supported 802.11n hardware. Any
> advises for miniPCI and/or miniPCI express cards? Atheros based?
> Ralink?

I usually use Intel devices (5100 or 5300) as clients for my tests.
However, be aware that wifi tests are never really accurate due to the
nature of the wireless media. And also the rate control interaction with
rt2x00 is not yet perfect, this might be why you sometimes see
these big throughput differences. I've got a few more patches to
improve that but they are not ready for upstream proposal yet.

Thanks for testing again!

Helmut