On Monday 06 February 2012 19:20:21 jonsm...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Florian Fainelli <flor...@openwrt.org> wrote:

> >> MIPS systems varies as much as ARM ones do.  The short answer, is
> >> it depends upon the hardware.   For systems which lack serial/ROM
> >> level recovery, you'll need to use JTAG.  Some systems I work
> >> with lack even that.
> >
> > Actually, I have never seen a single MIPS system out there having such a
> > boot ROM capability.
>
> It is a very useful ability. You can solder the flash chips on empty
> and then use the UART to program them during test.
>
> UART first loads a little program to tiny on-CPU-chip SRAM. This
> program in turns knows how to program the flash chip and then reads
> the full image from UART with error detection. You need the SRAM
> because the DRAM controller is not set up yet. u-boot support this,
> check out CONFIG_SPL.
>
> Takes  about 30 seconds and no special equipment to initially program
> our ARM boards. Same procedure can unbrick them.

Yeah, I have used that on a custom AT91 board, it definitively is useful, but
MIPS integrators did not feel the need to get this standardized or even
brought to customers, so, if you want a similar feature, you'd have to use a
custom bootloader and protect the region of the flash where this rescue
bootloader is.
--
Florian