On 07.04.2012 20:28, Imre Kaloz wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 18:31:13 +0200, Matthias Buecher / Germany
> <m...@maddes.net> wrote:
>
>> Add an image option for the Orion Generic targets, that allows to
>> specify the kernel mtd partition size.
>> The option takes care for necessary size extension when building with
>> symbols.
>> The value is also used for image generation (padding).
>
> <snip>
>
> As I've told this before, I can't accept the idea nor the design. If you
> need a kernel with more things compiled in for testing, you can tftpboot
> it and you won't be limited by the partitions.
>
> Imre

Hello Imre,

it's not about flashing a kernel with more modules integrated for me.

It's about a normal image with symbols for others. It takes a lot of
time to explain someone on the forum or in mails what and how to get a
working image with symbols, just to get an oops report with symbols.
(With a kernel plus symbols nbd could find an alignment error and he
told me there will be more not yet found.)
The solution is very simple and clean, plus everybody can build an image
with symbols without any source changes, compilation issues or runtime
issues.
While others want to build an even smaller image than the default one
due to their special demands.

Of course it would be much easier to give the mtd partitions via the
kernel command line just like it is done for ar71xx targets. But I do
not have the knowledge to develop this for all Orion targets, also I do
not have the devices to test (although Nilfred would be willing to
sacrifice his WNR854T).

Another solution for different kernel sizes would be to use a dynamic
mtd partition uImage split similar as it is done for Lantiq targets. I
already created the code for this, which could even go into the generic
patches as it doesn't have the logic errors of the Lantiq targets.

It would be great if there would be a solution for this on Orion, but
also a general OpenWrt way would help lots of people willing to help on
oops reports and willing to contribute.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Maddes