On 04/19/2012 05:41 AM, Mirko Vogt wrote:

I also noticed complains about glibc - however every time I ask people
why in particular they chose glibc over eglibc I didn't get any
meaningful response. glibc is de facto unmaintained in OpenWrt and I'd
actually like to purge it out - still I'm afraid to affront people using
it for a reason.

The answer is quite involved, and I don't have time here to repeat
stuff that I've detailed elsewhere (sorry).

However:

 - with my current project when I started the uclibc version at the
   time (about a year ago), had some serious threading bugs. I'm
   pretty sure those are now fixed, but I switched to glibc 2.13.

 - uclibc was significantly slower for the PHP/sqlite stuff I was
   doing over eglibc/glibc (2:1, see benchmarks I made).

 - I switched to eglibc 2.13 (no other version has built in recent
   history) because it was slightly smaller.  In practice, I had
   to turn many of the subfeatures back on, since there's poor
   dependency handling.

 - We've long since frozen what we do, and we have 3rd party
   stuff compiled against the toolchain I made, so we're going to
   be using eglibc for a long time, and am not in a hurry to go
   to 2.14 etc unless there's some urgent bug that pops up.

As for the patches I made, the code base has moved on a bit,
but there's stuff there definitely still needed.  I don't
have time to update them, sorry.  But I believe they are
all very very obvious.