On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:13 AM, John Crispin <j...@phrozen.org> wrote:
> On 10/05/12 17:57, Dave Taht wrote:
>> In looking over the enormous stack of boards and drivers that openwrt
>> supports, I see that many of the ethernet drivers don't yet support
>> Linux 3.3's "Byte Queue Limits", which are discussed here:
>>
>> http://lwn.net/Articles/454390/
>>
>> It would be good if more did. They improve network performance in the
>> general case enormously, particularly when a link is not connected at
>> it's peak wire speed.
>>
>> *Adding* support for BQL to an ethernet driver is trivial, here's an
>> example of how.
>>
>> http://huchra.bufferbloat.net/~cero1/openwrt-bql-patches/0103-BQL-support-added-to-ag71xx-driver.patch
>>
>> * testing BQL* is also trivial - but will require the device to do.
>> I've been beat up by memory barrier issues and stuff like that, so it
>> pays to do the patch and then run serious tests through it, rather
>> than try it blind.
>
> Hi,
>
> do you run specific tests or just hammer the unit ?

Hammering via any means is good - netperf, iperf, apache benchmarks, etc.

We have been using (and improving) netperf to exercise things like
classification and alternate tcp algorithms. You can get that from
netperf.org's svn, or

There is a version of that already packaged up in the openwrt
compatible ceropackages repository here:

https://github.com/dtaht/ceropackages-3.3

the new (to be 2.6) version of netperf is not backward compatible with
version 2.5, so all sides of the connection need to be running it.

useful tests are TCP_STREAM, TCP_MAERTS, and TCP_RR, run multiple
times simultaneously, for long periods. (memory barriers are hard to
hit). Codel shows up well in a simultaneous TCP_STREAM and TCP_RR test
vs pfifo_fast, too.

Iperf is a simpler substitute.

> john

Dave Täht