On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Dominique Martinet
<asmad...@codewreck.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gui Iribarren wrote on Thu, Jul 05, 2012 :
>> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Dominique Martinet
>> <asmad...@codewreck.org> wrote:
>> > config dhcp 'lan'
>> >         option interface 'lan'
>> >         option ra_names '2001:dead:beef::'
>>
>> I understand this serves the double purpose of activating this
>> feature, and at the same time making dnsmasq send RA, so no radvd is
>> needed
>>  or does it depend on RA sent by radvd ?
>> in the second case, wouldn't it make sense to get the "prefix" config
>> directly from /etc/config/radvd instead of duplicating information?
>
> It effectively makes radvd unneeded (but harmless, I just tried with
> both running with my previous radvd configuration), so it seems better
> to give the prefix here.
Agree, great to know.
> I'm pretty sure it would be possible to have the same feature with
> announces only from radvd and dnsmasq passively listening, but I didn't
> find a way to do so and for what I've been using radvd it doesn't seem
> to change much.

I'm currently using the "config rdnss" feature of radvd so that  SLAAC
hosts also get a DNS server entry, again independent of dhcpv4. I
assume that's also possible with this new scheme, right?
i could search about it on dnsmasq documentation , but you seem to
have immersed in the subject much more than i could achieve right now.