On 08/31/2012 09:56 AM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> My CFE handles LZMA compression as long as it doesn't use dictionary,
> -eos and -si.
>
> For now I just compress kernel (vmlinux) with such a non-optimal LZMA
> compression and it works fine. The only important note: I need
> BOOT_RAW to allow vmlinux booting.
>
> Of course using no-dictionary LZMA results in a bigger image. I want
> to avoid that by using loader + well-LZMA-compressed-vmlinux. There
> come problems...
>
> Unfortunately when I use loader, Linux doesn't boot anymore. I just
> see "Starting program at 0x80001000" and that's it. I've tried
> loader.gz and loader.lzma (compressed without dictionary), both
> resulted with the same hang (Starting program...).
>
> My only tip is that I saw the same hang when I compiled kernel without
> BOOT_RAW. AFAICS, that CONFIG_BOOT_RAW affects arch/mips/kernel/head.S
> only.
> Is this possible we need similar hack (another BOOT_RAW) for
> target/linux/brcm47xx/image/lzma-loader/src/head.S?
> Do you have any other ideas?

I can not help you much with your problem, I do not have much knowledge
about the mips boot process and the mips low level stuff.

I do not see this as a blocker, the difference in size between loader
with good compressed kernel and no loader with "bad" compressed image
was something less than 100KB and all NAND flash devices I have seen had
128MB flash. It would be nice if it would work like on all the other
targets, but if it is hard, do it later or leave it like it is working now.