"Paul Fertser" <fercer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brian Epstein <br...@deepbluecommunications.com> writes:
> > Assuming Gold’s Gym is now the official Gym sponsor for all Wyndham
> > hotels.  Now for example when anyone searches for the word “Gym” or
> > “step class” on Google.com at any Super8 from behind our equipment,
> > the search is modified prior to being sent to Google.com such that
> > the search now says “step class golds gym”.
>
> Am I reading that right that when somebody wants to send a search
> query to Google you hijack it and modify however you want? Seriously?

That's how I read it. If that happened to me on a "free" hotel internet
connection (which I am paying for with my room charge), I would NOT stay at
that hotel again (I would leave after that night if possible) and (at minimum)
the following people would be informed why I left: The hotel manager, corporate
headquarters (if the hotel was part of a chain), my friends who keep up with me
on various social media sites, Google Maps and any other place that I could
find online that did reviews on that hotel, anyone who asked me about my trip.
If I am on a public network, most anything important is running back home over
a OpenVPN or connecting via HTTPS, but messing with guests searches will only
lose you goodwill...

Aaron Z