On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 11:56 PM, Stefan Lippers-Hollmann <s....@gmx.de> wrote:
> While there still is a small chance
> that the differences are small enough that OpenWrt might "just work"
> for this device as well, it does look like there is a different
> solution in place for the networking switch, so it's more likely that
> some more involved source changes might be needed.

Hello Gabor, i'm adding you to CC since your email is in all board
support files :)
we're trying to get openwrt running on TPLink WDR3500, a close
relative of WDR3600 lacking gigabit ethernet

Stefan,
your predictions were right, i tftp'ed an openwrt image (compiled for
wdr3600) to the wdr3500, and everything Just Worked, except the
ethernet!
tested working OK the USB port and dual-band wifi.

But there's no eth0 whatsoever, and corresponding leds do not light up
when an ethernet cable is connected.

Attached is the bootlog with openwrt trunk r33815, hope it helps.

I made some hi-res pictures of the board, and upload them to the wiki,
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr3500

i'm not sure if it should be merged them in
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr3600
feel free to do so, if the gigabit difference is not worth a separate page :)

I tried to dig into board support source files, to see if i could make
a minor change, but the best i could decipher was juhosg email :P

So, help will be much appreciated; and any further testing or
information needed will
receive prompt replies.

Thanks for the guidance so far, it's been a charming welcome into the
world of adding openwrt support for a new board!

Gui