On 06/25/2013 11:09 AM, jonsm...@gmail.com wrote:
On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Conor O'Gorman <i...@conorogorman.net> wrote:
On Tue, 2013-06-25 at 00:20 -0400, jonsm...@gmail.com wrote:
Can this be made to work on Ralink? When I have the adhoc0 interface
up bringing up ap0 says interface busy.....

Ralink is not good for supporting this type of setup. I had tried AP and
client mode, and after some hacking it sort-of worked.

Maybe I asked the wrong question....

I want to run a mesh like batman. The examples on the batman site
should it being run in adhoc mode. Can I instead run it in mesh mode?

root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# iw list
Wiphy phy0

valid interface combinations:
* #{ AP, mesh point } <= 8,
   total <= 8, #channels <= 1

Nope, mesh mode in this context refers to 802.11s which implements a mesh network in a lower layer than batman-adv, already providing a layer2 link-local domain between all participating nodes.
running batman-adv over that is redundant and probably troublesome

so: choose between batman-adv over adhoc interfaces,
*or* use plain mesh mode interfaces.

If you're deploying this today, in a non-experimental scenario, you probably want to go the batman-adv way (and drop ralink :P); open11s is a younger project and while i'm impressed by the development pace, still lacks some key features (IMHO) like multi-interface support :(

Cheers!

gui