On 13.08.2013 21:54, Jeff Remy wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a question regarding the UCI Lua bindings license.
> libuci itself is LGPLv2.1, the cli utility is GPLv2 and the Lua
> bindings are GPLv2.
> I was wondering if this was on purpose?
> It does not seem to be in line with the library but again, there might
> be other reasons.

i am not associated to the UCI authors/project. so i cannot tell you why they
did it.

however, usually licensing like this is done because GPL is restrictive when it
comes to linking. see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License#Linking_and_derived_works

because of that lots of projects choose to provide libraries on LGPL or other
licenses that do not enforce an OS license on the code the library is linked
against to make the library more attractive for commercial usage. other
components that do not need to be linked stay under GPL though.

..ede