I have a number of (admittedly) ancient Netgear WGT634U's in the field
doing duty as free-wifi hotspots.  Recent builds of our standard set
of tools have become unhappy in the last year or so.  For example,
here are the RES memory sizes of processes on our workload, comparing
r37911 (current) with r34240 (circa Nov 18, 2012):

r37911              r34240

RSS  command        RSS  command
3700 gateway        3000 gateway (nocatauth, w/ perl)
1400 snmpd          1240 snmpd
1196 openvpn        3400 openvpn
736  olsrd          628  olsrd
732  olsrd          572  olsrd
664  netifd         268  netifd
656  procd          76   init
                    104  init
                    108  rcS
632  top            612  top
532  dropbear       540  dropbear
496  ash            480  ash
492  logread        168  syslogd
488  hostapd        392  hostapd
456  crond          332  crond
448  udhcpc         * (used static config, so no udhcpc)
                    248  hotplug2
420  dropbear       188  dropbear
384  logger         172  logger
                    164  logger
380  sh
376  dnsmasq        440  dnsmasq
372  radvd          188  radvd
256  radvd          320  radvd
364  ntpclient      200  ntpclient
280  ubusd          56   ubusd
272  sleep
224  askfirst
                    68   ??
                    84   watchdog
-------------       -----------------
15956               14048

Today's resident size is almost 2 megabytes larger than a year ago,
even after a substantial improvement in the openvpn size (I switched
to polarssl).

Admittedly, the numbers are just a convenience sample (r37911 just
booted, r34240 has been up for 44 days) and might not be a fair
comparison in all cases.  But, the direction here seems to be making
the WGT634U less viable for us.

Are these numbers illuminating at all?

--
Russell Senior, President