Thanks for all your comments,

there was some valuable input and things worth considering:

* i like the idea to give start of sale and EOL dates
* Integrating more information directly into the build system also
sounds like a good idea, though i'm not really sure how that would be
done on a per model basis. And then the question is how much information
would we want to add there and if devs also think some model specific
info should go directly in the repository. Might need some more thinking
about it.

But i still think the best way would be to have a database like the
prototype i made which can be easily filled by (registered)
contributors. That way we can ensure things are named consistently which
is needed for good searchability. Then on the other side the most
important thing is the api which can output results in json format. It
wouldn't be too hard to populate some fields in the wiki which are
stored in the database from ajax calls. The bad site about this is of
course that it would require javascript (problems for some user groups
and especially search engines). So one might think about dynamically
creating static pages from the database once a day or so. So in short:
Have some fields in the wiki that are populated from the db and at the
same time keep it a wiki, so it is still possible to add a lot more info
for each model. web2py (which i used for my prototype) could even
provide a wiki - but its probably not as good/feature rich as the
DokuWiki which is used now.

But thats just my very own idea. Generally i would be happy with any
solution that makes TOH better searchable and machine readable.

Regards, Manuel