It seems that at some point in the last three months (between r37989 and
r39097), something about the way network interfaces are brought up changed.
Interfaces that were formerly available at a certain point during startup
are no longer necessarily available at that point.

I first noticed this when I found that dnsmasq wasn’t responding to DNS
queries. I have dnsmasq configured to bind to each desired interface’s
address individually rather than to bind to to the wildcard address. This
is accomplished by setting “option nonwildcard 1” in /etc/config/dhcp’s
“config dnsmasq” section. With this setting in place, after boot, dnsmasq
was not bound to port 53 on any address. I checked this with “netstat -an”.

This is affecting some of my other startup scripts as well, which had been
expecting the system to be in a certain state with respect to network
interface availability based on their START= values. It seems that network
devices are now brought up in the background, and may not even be available
when any rc.d start script runs.

Is this a new change with the ongoing netifd or procd work? In the new
procd/netifd world, is there a better way to start services that depend on
specific network interfaces?