>>>>> "Chad" == Chad Monroe <c...@monroe.io> writes:

Chad> [...] The core problem I need to solve is how to compile/test a
Chad> package and make change after change after change to it, then
Chad> when itas ready, create a patch set. I have a feeling Iave been
Chad> doing things the hard way for a while and would appreciate a
Chad> push in the right direction. I love what OpenWRT is doing for
Chad> the community and an more than happy to contribute back; if this
Chad> is something that isnat in a wiki and should be Iam more than
Chad> happy to document it if someone can help me get the procedure
Chad> straight. Thanks for your time,

Is this what you are looking for?

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/devel/patches#iteratively.modify.patches.without.cleaning.the.source.tree

--