2014-01-31 Felix Fietkau <n...@openwrt.org>:
>>> I think we should probably introduce a new option that avoids the
>>> overload of mode and band into one single option. We can keep backwards
>>> compatibility for 11n.
>>
>> I am not quite sure what you want to say here. You seem to want to have 11n
>> and band separated, ok. Are you now suggestion that the uci should get a new
>> option to say "enable ht/disable ht"? Wouldn't it make more sense to just to
>> keep mode_11n as it was before and make the decision whether ieee80211ac=1
>> can
>> be enabled on the modified htmode wireless option?
> I think in new configs, the mode should only be 11a or 11g, and
> 802.11n/802.11ac is enabled through the htmode option. 11na and 11ng
> would only be supported for compatibility reasons.

I can already see people complaining they don't have 802.11n and
802.11ac modes available. GUI would have to be adjuster to hide this
internal change (and still show 802.11n as possible choice) to stop
that complains. But that would add some hacks in translating GUI
(LuCI) <-> UCI configuration.

If you really want to get rid of 802.11an, 802.11n, 802.11ac, what
about going into something like 5GHz and 2GHz? Maybe that's a better
idea?

On the other way, it doesn't make much sense to switch into 5GHz and
2GHz, as this can be determined using just a channel number...