  Russell> That's possible.  But it still means a substantial change in
  Russell> behavior for users.  Previously, selecting kmod-batman-adv
  Russell> alone gave you batctl (similar to the userspace parts of
  Russell> madwifi, iirc).  I'm afraid users are going to miss batctl
  Russell> unless there is some stronger linkage.

  Bastian> what about having a suboption in the kmodule saying [ ]
  Bastian> disable building batctl/userspace-tool

  Kernel modules  --->
    Network Support  --->

  would look something like this:

     <*> kmod-batman-adv......................................... B.A.T.M.A.N.
Adv
     [ ]   enable verbose debug logging (NEW)
     [*]   enable bridge loop avoidance (NEW)
     [*]   enable distributed arp table (NEW)
     [ ]   enable network coding [requires promisc mode support] (NEW)
     < >   enable batctl

  while at the same time, in:

  Network  --->

  you would see this:

     < > batctl........ B.A.T.M.A.N. Advanced user space configuration tool
batctl

  where "enable batctl" and "batcl" toggle the same
  CONFIG_PACKAGE_batctl, in two different places.

  I'm just wondering if having a userspace package selection in the
  "Kernel modules/Network Support" section as well as in the "Network"
  section is beyond the pale or acceptable.  I'm suggesting to accept
  it, because it seems the most natural of the alternatives.

  ACK/NACK?

Should I assume silence equals assent?

--
Russell Senior, President