Thank you for your answer.

>  I'd prefer to have explicit callbacks from hostapd (maybe to a script)
to preserve those changes.
I see that hapd_wps_cred_cb is called to update hostapd config. We can try
here (somehow, maybe script?) update UCI config file.

But what about this scenario:
1) Run hostAP from UCI
2) Use UCI to update settings (for example SSID) and commit changes- but
don't restart hostAP using 'wifi' command
3) Change password using External Registrar
After step 2 both config files (from /etc/config/wireless and
/var/run/hostapd-phyX.conf) contain different SSID. So password
synchronization after step 3 will be very hard (how to decide which file is
up to date... etc.).

BR,
Pawel