On 19.07.2014 08:48, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Two packages provide the "proto l2tp" netifd protocol: xl2tpd [1] in the
> new packages feed, and l2tpv3tun [2] in oldpackages.
>
> The config are totally different, the problem is really a name clash.

It seems they are doing things differently
xl2tpd is RFC2661
(https://github.com/xelerance/xl2tpd/blob/master/README.xl2tpd)
l2tpv3 is RFC5641 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5641)
changes are in: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3931#section-1.1

> What is the recommended way to deal with name clashes in netifd protocols,
> without breaking existing user configuration?
>
> In this case, using "proto l2tpv2" for xl2tpd and "proto l2tpv3" for
> l2tpv3tun would probably be the cleanest, but it would break configuration
> for anyone using one or the other :)

clean versions leads to less confusion

> Note that only the l2tpv3tun configuration is documented right now [3].
>
> Thanks,
> Baptiste
>
> [1] https://github.com/openwrt/packages/tree/master/net/xl2tpd
> [2] http://git.openwrt.org/?p=packages.git;a=tree;f=net/l2tpv3tun
> [3]
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network#protocol.l2tp.l2tp.pseudowire.tunnel

I wrote something about l2tpv3tun earlier,see :
http://patchwork.openwrt.org/patch/4891/
Arguments for using iproute2 instead of l2tpv3tun  might still apply