On 4/23/19 12:41 AM, Florian Eckert wrote:
Hello Mirko,

I am not a member of OpenWrt but this are my hints.

 To start this process, we have collected a small number of core
features that we would propose to add to the OpenWrt build system. Our
goal with these patches is to remove the need for companies to develop
external scripts used to manipulate the build configuration of
OpenWrt. We will present the use cases and our proposed way to
implement these in a series of emails.

 If and when there is agreement on the proposal and implementation
approach, we will develop the feature and submit a patch for approval.
We are aware that this might take time and are prepared for several
iterations.

Do not ask if this would be a good improvement.
Just do it and make a traceable pullrequest with the changes.
If the community likes this then it will get merged.

 The first use case we would like to present is the ability to add
external toolchains in a feed.

Why not include the toolchain for new archs or changes to existing into OpenWrt Upstream?
This has a lot of advantages, which hopefully are all well known.

[...]

Mirko,

First, I would echo Florian's suggestion as perhaps the most effective way to accomplish this.

(I'm not a member of the OpenWrt team either.)

I am, however, wondering how the existing features of the build system aren't meeting your needs. While I haven't tried them myself, it at least appears that there are many options available beneath

Symbol: EXTERNAL_TOOLCHAIN [=y]
  │ Type  : boolean
  │ Prompt: Use external toolchain
  │   Location:
  │     -> Advanced configuration options (for developers) (DEVEL [=y])
  │   Defined at toolchain/Config.in:41

On the feeds, at least as I understand it, `./scripts/feeds` looks at `feeds.conf` or, if not present, `feeds.conf.default` (Perl)

     44 sub parse_config() {
     45         my $line = 0;
     46         my %name;
     47
     48         open FEEDS, "feeds.conf" or
     49                 open FEEDS, "feeds.conf.default" or
     50                 die "Unable to open feeds configuration";

so that the choice of feeds is already part of the source itself, manageable through git or your VCS.

On a separate note, I wanted to thank the folks at Prpl for providing some documentation on procd that was once present at <http://wiki.prplfoundation.org/wiki/Procd_reference> I had linked to it at <https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/procd-init-scripts> some time ago, and replaced it with a link to the Internet Archive when the page disappeared. If that is present elsewhere, I know I'd appreciate it if we could know the URL to link to it directly, or maintain the information to the OpenWrt wiki directly.

Jeff