Hi Jordan

On 10.07.2020 22:45, Jordan Geoghegan wrote:
Hey folks,

Does the 'tr' utility support character classes in OpenWRT? I was playing around with an OpenWRT x86_64 VM and I noticed that 'tr' doesn't seem to support character classes. The command " echo HELLO | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]' "  does not convert to the text to lowercase as it should (and as required by POSIX).
This would be expected behavior. OpenWrt disables tr character classes in BusyBox by default, see [1]:

config BUSYBOX_DEFAULT_FEATURE_TR_CLASSES
        bool
        default n
config BUSYBOX_DEFAULT_FEATURE_TR_EQUIV
        bool
        default n

I don't know what the size cost in the BusyBox binary is, but that will likely be the deciding factor for such a change.

1: https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=blob;f=package/utils/busybox/Config-defaults.in

Regards,
Magnus Kroken