On 2021-02-24 15:36, Adrian Schmutzler wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Schmutzler [mailto:m...@adrianschmutzler.de]
Sent: Mittwoch, 24. Februar 2021 11:50
To: 'openwrt-devel@lists.openwrt.org' <openwrt-devel@lists.openwrt.org>
Subject: Quilt and cutting down diff position lines

Hi,

as most are probably aware, quilt cuts down the position lines in patches
during refresh:

- @@ -78,7 +78,8 @@ void machine_apply_elf_rel(struct mem_ehdr
*UNUSED(ehdr),
+ @@ -78,7 +78,8 @@ void machine_apply_elf_rel(struct mem_eh

While this has no functional impact, it creates a lot of additional spam
during
checkpatch.pl, and it makes these lines less useful for the frequent cases where the relevant (meaning "specific") information is at the end of that
line
(i.e. when looking at patches directly). Apart from that, this also bloats
diffs in
packages when people add proper patches, and quilt will then just cut down
these lines without a change in position.

I wonder whether quilt can be convinced to not cut this line (did not find
any
helpful guidance so far), and whether one wants to change that if it's
possible?

Well, after a lengthy quest into the world of quilt, I found that this is
actually a diff "bug", since diff hardcodes the context function to 40
characters max:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/diffutils.git/tree/src/context.c#n156

And since this is a prerequisite the user installs on the host, we cannot do
much about it either, as it appears.

Openwrt could provide a host build for a patched version of diff and use that instead.

Best

Adrian