Hi,

On 01/03/2022 22:11, Daniel Golle wrote:
We may need to add a 'switch' DEVICE_TYPE in include/target.mk
selecting packages relevant for this class of devices.
('bridge' or 'ip-full', 'ethtool', ...)Indeed, these devices are really not
routers. Let's have the right
packages for them installed, and only those. I have a couple of
the realtek switches in use and none of them is routing anything or
would need a firewall. They are really what they are sold for: smart
switches, very good with VLANs and switching across many ports.

2. supporting more common use cases out of the box

It's just bloat.  The flash size is small on many of these devices.

It's rather the very limited performance of the CPU and Ethernet MAC
used for the CPU port which makes me disregard those (layer-2)
switches being used for anything else than that.
The RTL93xx based devices are probably a bit more powerful and have layer 3
offload support, but it will take some time until I would trust them at
the edge of a network. At that point probably other packages are needed than
software-based firewalling. So in my opinion, let's drop firewall and DHCP/DNS
server packages.

Cheers,
  Birger