James,

> openxpkicli --realm hll_ca2016 --filearg data=hllcerts/20160001.pem
> import_certificate
> Error: Error while executing API command
>    Attribute (data) does not pass the type constraint because: ''Certificate:
>        Version: 3 (0x2)
>        Serial Number: 538312705 (0x20160001)
>    Signature Algorithm: sha512WithRSAEncryption
>
> I checked the certificate using:
>
>   openssl x509 -text -noout -in hllcerts/20160001.pem
>
> and it is a valid pem encoded certificate.  What am I missing?

The file you are trying to import is not a pure PEM cert but contains leading
text, and thus the input parameter is not passing the input data validation
step.

openssl x509 parses this just fine, but the API requires a pure PEM block. This
is not the same.

Verify with cat hllcerts/20160001.pem

If the output is anything more than a pure

----- BEGIN CERTIFICATE -----
----- END CERTIFICATE -----

then this is your problem.

Cheers