On 27 April 2011 11:07, Marco Cirillo <mara...@lightwitch.org> wrote:
> Il 27/04/2011 04:07, sergio ha scritto:
>>
>> On 04/27/2011 05:58 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>
>>> At jabber.org we turned off the _jabber record about 5 years ago and we
>>> never heard a complaint.
>>
>> hermes.jabber.org and jabber.org have the same ip: 208.68.163.220
>>
>> Really ejabberd14 goes to jabber.org, not to hermes.jabber.org.
>>
>> If you'll chage hermes's ip of remove A for jabber.org you'll get problmes
>> with jabberd14 users.
>>

> Out of curiousity, this morning I have been digging a bit on this,
> It took awhile to find a server actually running "jabberd14" and it seemed
> to be able to dialback finely to lightwitch.org which A record doesn't point
> to the xmpp server.
>
> Perhaps something is amiss here? (As long as jabberd14 doesn't cache the
> address of the inc. s2s to initiate the outgoing one or some similar
> voodoo...)

No, Sergio is partly right. Very old versions of jabberd14 used
_jabber. However the latest release (1.6, released 2006) uses
_xmpp-server, and as far as I can tell it was supported all the way
back in 1.4 (~2004). In practice I have never encountered a server
that used solely _jabber for SRV lookups.

Regards,
Matthew