Dear OPM community,

As you may know, OPM aims for a biannual releases and it is time for the next
one, dubbed -- surprise -- 2017.04. Since for some reason Yours Truly came out
on top of our ludicrously hard process of selecting a release manager this
time, I  thought it would be a good idea to inform the wider OPM community
about the tentative release plan -- if you want any changes, let me know:

Modules involved in the release (maintainers are given in brackets):

  - opm-data (Alf Birger Rustad)
  - opm-common (Atgeirr Rasmussen, Bård Skaflestad, Arne Morten Kvarving,
Joakim Hove, Robert Klöfkorn, Tor Harald Sandve, Andreas Lauser)
  - opm-parser (Joakim Hove)
  - opm-output (Joakim Hove)
  - opm-grid (Atgeirr Rasmussen, Robert Klöfkorn, Bård Skaflestad)
  - opm-material (Andreas Lauser, Robert Klöfkorn, Tor Harald Sandve)
  - opm-core (Atgeirr Rasmussen, Robert Klöfkorn, Bård Skaflestad)
  - ewoms (Andreas Lauser, Robert Klöfkorn, Tor Harald Sandve)
  - opm-simulators (Atgeirr Rasmussen, Robert Klöfkorn, Tor Harald Sandve,
Andreas Lauser)
  - opm-upscaling (Arne Morten Kvarving, Atgeirr Rasmussen, Bård Skaflestad)

Guidelines for the release process:

- All maintainers: Please review all open pull requests and github issues for
the modules which you feel responsible for.
- All maintainers: Update the CHANGELOG for your modules. You probably should
have look at the changes since the last release. You can do this using the
command `git log "master@{Nov 1, 2016}..master"`.
- Cut-off date for code changes: Tuesday April 11, 2017. The master branches
of all modules will be closed for non-trivial, non-regression and non-
documentation merges after this, i.e., I'll be a jerk and personally revert
any merged code changes that do not fix serious problems thereafter.
- Creation of the release/2017.04 branches: Thursday April 15, 2017. To
simplify the bug hunting, the master branches are only open for merging non-
invasive code changes until the final version of the release is ready.
Maintainers should use common sense to determine what is "non-invasive".
- Preparation of Debian/Ubuntu and RHEL packages packages and testing based on
the release branches. Arne Morten Kvarving will be responsible for this.
- Tentative date for the final version of the release: Tuesday April 25, 2017.
Depending on the outcome of the packaging/testing efforts, this may be delayed
by a few days.
- A corresponding release of the  ERT libraries will also be created.
- After the release: Beer (or champagne or Coke if you prefer). The master
branches are fully open again.

For your convenience, we've also put up that plan on our website:

http://opm-project.org/?p=848

cheers
  Andreas

--
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger.
        -- Abbie Hoffman